Canadian Forces National Investigation Service seeks public’s help in sex assault investigation
CBC News Posted: Nov 14, 2016 1:27 PM MT Last Updated: Nov 14, 2016 3:42 PM MT
Canadian military police are asking for the public’s help in their investigation of decades-old sex assault allegations involving a child on the Edmonton base.
The crimes, which allegedly took place at the Edmonton Garrison between 1978 and 1980, involve a young male accused of sexually assaulting a child while babysitting in a residential housing unit.
The suspect was not a member of the military or related to the victim, investigators say.
The case was first referred to The Canadian Forces National Investigation Service in March 2011, after the victim reported the assault to Edmonton police.
But officials said there wasn’t sufficient information at the time to lay charges.
The case was reopened in September 2015 when the victim brought forward new information.
Anyone with information is encouraged to contact the military’s Sexual Offence Response Team at 1-844-489-0569 or Crime Stoppers.
“Because the reported offense in this case took place between 1978 and 1980, people with information relating to the case may no longer live in the area where the assaults took place,” said Capt. Pam Harris, commanding officer of the Canadian Forces national investigation service for the Pacific region.
“So the Canadian forces national investigations service has co-ordinated with Crime Stoppers in order to facilitate a nationwide public appeal.”
Tips will be directed to military investigators.
At the time of the alleged assault, the base was known as the Canadian Forces Base Edmonton. It has previously been called the RCAF Station Namao.