This town as well as our entire organization is in a state of panic as they let a repeat sexual offender live in a group home setting ran by a christian group that is designed to deal with mentally and physically disabled children and not with violent sexual offenders being released from prison . Please join this group and help support the community by signing the petition they have set up. Thanks goes out to everyone helping behind the scenes.
Constantin a free man in Hamilton, says he has strong urges to rape and kill
Convicted rapist Keith Constantin says he will rape again and he wants to kill someone.
Despite that horrifying admission — and the Parole Board of Canada’s own prediction that he is likely to kill or seriously harm someone — Constantin is out of prison and living in Hamilton.
Why? Because he has served every last bit of his sentence and cannot be kept behind bars any longer. He reached his warrant expiry date on July 23.
I have read through the parole records of many killers and rapists over the years. But I have never seen documents as disturbing as the ones I have for Constantin. Just three months ago the parole board wrote this:
“Aggravating the board’s concerns regarding your risk is your own view about the urges you have of reoffending against young women and children, your thoughts of ending a victim’s life and your own assertions that no one would be safe around you.” Add that to the heartbreaking interview I did earlier this week with one of Constantin’s rape victims and I have a much better appreciation of why Hamilton police Chief Glenn De Caire took the highly unusual step of issuing a warning to the public that this predator was returning to our community.
He was living, at first, in the area of Gage Park.
Police now say he is living near Fruitland Road in Stoney Creek.
Constantin, 35, has a criminal history that began “early in life” and includes “violent offences, weapon related offences and sexual offences against males and females, adults and children,” according to the documents.
He was convicted of sexually assaulting a seven-year-old boy he had lured to a park, sexually assaulting a 45-year-old blind woman he lived with in a second-level lodging home, and robbing two variety stores with a starter pistol.
Then he raped and beat a young woman in his parents’ basement while she was recovering from an epileptic seizure.
Records say he has been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and depression and has an “extremely low range of intellectual ability” and addictions to drugs and alcohol.
Also “character features associated with psychopathy were evident.”
A psychological assessment done in March showed he was “an extremely high risk to reoffend.”
The psychologist noted his escalation in violence and his case management team says he is “open with them about (his) urges of reoffending against children and young women and that (he) has thoughts of killing.”
He has asked to be detained “to prevent any further acts of violence against other persons.”
Repeatedly, Constantin’s confessions about wanting to rape and kill, along with his bad behaviour in prison and lack of treatment have led the parole board to keep him in past his statutory release date — a rare manoeuvre saved for only the most violent and untreatable offenders.
Correctional Services Canada “still considers you an untreated sexual offender,” the board wrote in April.
Constantin’s problem behaviour in prison includes: refusing to provide a urine sample; being argumentative; lack of personal hygiene; threatening a corrections officer; making inappropriate comments to women; holding a razor blade to his own throat; threatening suicide and hiding a weapon.
Constantin has at various times been transferred to a maximum security institution, kicked out of programs, had psychological counselling suspended and been placed in segregation.
At his last trial, the Crown attorney warned that if he should ever be convicted again, the Crown would seek a dangerous offender designation against him.
Near the end of Constantin’s last document, there is a line that should make us all question Canada’s parole system: “The board is not aware of any release plan that would offer adequate protection to the public from the risk you might otherwise present until the expiration of your sentence, according to law.”
The public could not be protected from Constantin while he was still under the authority of the Parole Board of Canada.